Friday 6 December 2013

The Window on the West - Part 4: Battle in the Shadow of the Leery One

[Part four. The mountains at last. Should I terstay or should I tergo.]



Battle in the Shadow of the Leery One

The wasteland rises and falls on either side of me. No more can I bear the torments of the good folk. The pleas and the memories. Perhaps I have lost myself in this labyrinth, but I shall never know. It would be tragic to never have known myself. Or would it. The fate worse than them all though…no! Not ere the end.

Days pass as I scale the unforeseen. And finally at the rich deepening of twilight, I arrive at the last mountain. The ranges of madness, where the Leery One casts his shadows the darkest. There’s no escaping him now, he watches over us – always whirring, always vigilant. The unscalable mountains shrink as the shadows of the One force them down. A grotesque vision. Twist of mind. Home.

Albatross of gold. Catharsis! All I desire is catharsis at the end of the fray.

“Come,” cried the hero. “Let us match our blades. Let us pit our spirits. The draw of the Game nears.”

A rolling rumble from beyond the clouds over Tardeo, from beyond the Aegean. And then I was one! At last! Raaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

The world vanishes in bloodshot hues as night time turns to day. It is a strange world where we find ourselves in, ever shifting, ever pressing on. The pulsing hum of everything wafted about as the May breeze.

Neither good nor bad.

And the enemy looked upon the hero. Oversensory cataclysm! Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

The enemy thrust the Spear of Fate, the Lance of Worlds, the weapon of Them, the veiled adversary, thrust it with freeing finality. But it passes by me as the idle wind, arms outspread, idyllic siesta, song for the road, searching for only what I seek.

Who are you? And wherefore have you wrought the War to End All Wars? 

It was my reflection again, the unyielding other-self, but his words brushed by me too. With the electric jangling of the only life I’ve ever known, I flew. Like the west wind at the edge of the sea! To fight, to strike, to answer the call! The Hero of Ages. Flash of blade and silver of moonshine. I struck the Faceless with my mind, parrying and reeling all the way down. We were joined, two selves in a farcical Romance, embroiled in travail and joy alike. The battled raged on, through time, darkness and the edges of the universe. Through memories of a child and the death of consciousness. Through worlds where I am still alive and worlds where I will live ere the end. The Leery One smiled benignly on us, the pieces of his eternal arena.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment